6 Common Vaginal Problems Signs
Vaginal health is one of an important issue for women. If your vagina shows any signs of abnormality, even the slightest, it can effect your daily life and leads to other serious health problems. To prevent vaginal problems, there are many signs that you need to know.
What symptoms might be a sign of problems?
1. Abnormal vaginal odor
It is normal for vagina to have a slight odor, but strong vaginal odor might be a sign of abnormalities that happens due to other associated problems such as burning, itching, irritation, or especially vaginitis. Do not use vaginal deodorant to eliminate bothersome odor. It may cause more irritation. See your healthcare professional right away.
2. Abnormal (vaginal) discharge
- Bloody or brown discharge, It can be a sign of many things from an irregular period cycle to endometrial cancer. Other symptoms that may occur as well are pelvic pain or abnormal vaginal bleeding.
- Yellow discharge, It can be a sign of gonorrhea. Other symptoms that may occur as well are urinary incontinence and pelvic pain.
- Frothy, yellow or greenish discharge with a bad smell, It can be a sign of trichomoniasis with pain and itching while urinating.
- Pinky discharge, Caused by shedding of the uterine lining after childbirth (lochia)
- Thick, white, cheesy discharge, It can be a sign of yeast affection
- White, grey, or yellow discharge with fishy odor, It can be a sign of bacterial vaginosis.
3. Pain during intercourse
4. Vaginal Dryness
Naturally, the lining of the vagina is moist to prevent and make a lubricating fluid. This fluid helps reduce pain during sexual intercourse. If estrogen levels drop off it may cause dryness and leads to trichomoniasis. On the other hand, vaginal dryness is a common symptom of menopause.
5. Abnormal bleeding
There are two types of abnormal bleeding during menstrual cycles – high bleeding and low bleeding. As a result of many factors:
- Uterine Fibroid
- Imbalance Hormones
- Contraceptive pills
- Cervical Cancer, If you are menopause consulting with a physician is needed. however, this is common for pregnant women.
- Other abnormalities near the vulva area
Mostly, symptoms that are founded are rash, sore, blister, or lump. These genital skin irritations may cause by ingrown hairs or due to constantly using a razor. But if any of them spread in a wide area, it can be a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Contact the doctor right away.
However, regular health check, good hygiene, and healthy eating can help you prevent vaginal problems in general. Visit your healthcare professional if there are any signs of these symptoms. Do not be shy. It is important to work together with your doctor about your overall health condition.
1. WebMD. Vaginal Discharge: What’s Abnormal? [Internet]. 2018 [cited2019 Nov25]. Available from: https://www.webmd.com/women/guide/vaginal-discharge-whats-abnormal#1
2. Mayo Clinic. Vaginal odor [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2019 Dec 5]. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/vaginal-odor/basics/causes/sym-20050664?p=1
3. MedlinePlus. Vaginal Disease [Internet]. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Library of Medicine [updated 15 July 2019; cited 2019 Nov 26]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/vaginaldiseases.html
4. Mayo Clinic. Vagina: What's normal, what's not [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2019 Dec 5]. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/vagina/art-20046562
5. Healthwise. Female Genital Problems and Injuries [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2019 Dec 5]. Available from: https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/kbase/topic.jhtml?docId=vagts#hw89443
7 Habits for a Healthy Vagina
We all know that the vagina is an important part of women. Most women experience minor vaginal problems....
Menopause Facts and Tips for Women
As we get older, many changes occur within us, both physically and emotionally, and coping with these changes can...
How Menstrual Cramps Affect Your Health?
For women in general, menstrual cramps may be such a normal thing. Regardless of the pain levels, if such cramp….